My coauthor @drangelapeery and I had the great opportunity to be interviewed about our new vocabulary book for the popular podcast Ten-Minute Teacher (#TMT) hosted by Vicki Davis, otherwise known as @coolcatteacher.
Vicki began the conversation by asking, “Why this vocabulary book now?” What a great question! Let’s be clear – there are many great vocabulary books written for the K-12 community. Many have been useful to Angela and me in our work and with teachers we have supported.
So…why this vocabulary book now?
Listed below are a few reasons I shared.
- Vocabulary continues to be an important issue for educators and parents. We know that the size of one’s vocabulary impacts achievement and often success in life. Helping students grow and build their vocabulary has long-lasting positive outcomes!
- Despite decades of research that resulted in developing numerous effective vocabulary strategies, little practical information has trickled down to impact teacher practice. We often do as was done in our classrooms – and the more traditional “look it up” and memorize type strategies have been proven to have little impact on word learning.
- Teachers, literacy leadership teams, and schools can benefit from a resource that provides both strategies and way to reflect upon and build schoolwide vocabulary practices. In our book, we’ve provided “next steps” and reflective questions for individual teachers as literacy leadership teams who may be reading it as a book study.
- Our Blended Vocabulary book includes digital tools that support independent word learning, practice, and collaboration. We’ve included over 25 digital tools and apps in six categories that we’ve used with teachers and make a difference in creating a well-rounded vocabulary programs that support vocabulary learning both in and out of the classroom.
We had a great time sharing our excitement about Blended Vocabulary for K-12 Classrooms. We hope you’ll check our the #TMT podcast when it’s released in a few weeks. We’ll be giving away a book to one lucky listener so be sure to check out the podcast!
By the way, Vicki also referred to us the “VocabularyDoctors” which was kind of fun! Thanks again to Vicki Davis for interviewing us and letting us spread the word about how to improve vocabulary instruction and boost word learning!
Latest posts by Kimberly (see all)
- Why this Vocabulary Book Now? - April 20, 2017
- Infographic | 5 Way Word Walls Can Support Word Learning - April 13, 2017
- Launching Blended Vocabulary for K-12: A Labor of Love - February 20, 2017