I’m so excited about our new blended vocabulary book that will be published this summer by Solution Tree Press (@SolutionTree). It’s been a long time coming after years of working with schools and districts to strengthen their vocabulary instruction and independent word learning. My co-author, Dr. Angela Peery (@drangelapeery), and I have worked diligently to create a practical resource for K-12 teachers, leaders, instructional coaches, and pre-service teachers.
While there are numerous excellent vocabulary professional resources from which to choose, there are four unique features in our book which will make it a valuable resource for teachers and leaders.
- Building a Culture around Word Learning: We believe that all staff needs to be help students become word conscious and savor building their vocabulary. A big part of this is accomplished by creating a culture across the school that supports word learning. And, we not only tell you how but provide examples of how other educators have done it.
- New Blended Model for Vocabulary: While there are several models for word learning which I’ve written about here, we’ve developed a new Blended Model that includes incorporating digital tools and apps that support word learning, collaboration, practice and review.
- Digital Tools: Woven throughout the book are digital tools and apps that support and extend word learning, and are appropriate for elementary, secondary, and special populations. You’ll find in-depth reviews and suggestions for how to best incorporate them with your students.
- Next Steps for Teachers | Next Steps for Literacy Leadership Teams: In every chapter, we include a number of appropriate next steps and questions to provoke thinking if you’re reading the book solo. And, if you’re reading it as a literacy leadership team, we provide next steps to help you effectively lead a schoolwide or districtwide vocabulary implementation.
Table of Contents
Below is the Table of Contents – just the high level, of course. Our editor may help us think of snazzier chapter titles, but you’ll get the idea.
- Chapter 1: The Importance of Vocabulary
- Chapter 2: Building a Culture of Word Learning
- Chapter 3: Vocabulary Frameworks
- Chapter 4: Selecting, Teaching, and Assessing Vocabulary
- Chapter 5: Effective Vocabulary Instruction
- Chapter 6: Early and Primary Strategies
- Chapter 7: Strategies for Secondary Students
- Chapter 8: Vocabulary Instruction for Special Populations
- Chapter 9: Digital Tools and Apps that Support Word Learning
We can’t wait to get this book in your hands. It will serve well as a book study, and when implemented, the strategies can make a huge difference in setting the stage for literacy learning in your school.
Want to know when the book is published? Fill out this simple form (we protect your privacy), and I’ll let you know when it’s released.
Latest posts by Kimberly (see all)
- Launching Blended Vocabulary for K-12: A Labor of Love - February 20, 2017
- The Rarity of Engaged Readers - November 29, 2016
- Take a Peek at the TOC in our Upcoming Blended Vocabulary Book! - May 13, 2016