I’m so excited about our new blended vocabulary book that will be published this summer by Solution Tree Press (@SolutionTree). It’s been a long time coming after years of working with schools and districts to strengthen their vocabulary instruction and independent word learning. My co-author, Dr. Angela Peery (@drangelapeery), and I have worked diligently to create a practical resource for K-12 teachers, leaders, instructional coaches, and pre-service teachers.
While there are numerous excellent vocabulary professional resources from which to choose, there are four unique features in our book which will make it a valuable resource for teachers and leaders.
- Building a Culture around Word Learning: We believe that all staff needs to be help students become word conscious and savor building their vocabulary. A big part of this is accomplished by creating a culture across the school that supports word learning. And, we not only tell you how but provide examples of how other educators have done it.
- New Blended Model for Vocabulary: While there are several models for word learning which I’ve written about here, we’ve developed a new Blended Model that includes incorporating digital tools and apps that support word learning, collaboration, practice and review.
- Digital Tools: Woven throughout the book are digital tools and apps that support and extend word learning, and are appropriate for elementary, secondary, and special populations. You’ll find in-depth reviews and suggestions for how to best incorporate them with your students.
- Next Steps for Teachers | Next Steps for Literacy Leadership Teams: In every chapter, we include a number of appropriate next steps and questions to provoke thinking if you’re reading the book solo. And, if you’re reading it as a literacy leadership team, we provide next steps to help you effectively lead a schoolwide or districtwide vocabulary implementation.
Table of Contents
Below is the Table of Contents – just the high level, of course. Our editor may help us think of snazzier chapter titles, but you’ll get the idea.
- Chapter 1: The Importance of Vocabulary
- Chapter 2: Building a Culture of Word Learning
- Chapter 3: Vocabulary Frameworks
- Chapter 4: Selecting, Teaching, and Assessing Vocabulary
- Chapter 5: Effective Vocabulary Instruction
- Chapter 6: Early and Primary Strategies
- Chapter 7: Strategies for Secondary Students
- Chapter 8: Vocabulary Instruction for Special Populations
- Chapter 9: Digital Tools and Apps that Support Word Learning
We can’t wait to get this book in your hands. It will serve well as a book study, and when implemented, the strategies can make a huge difference in setting the stage for literacy learning in your school.
Latest posts by Kimberly (see all)
- Why this Vocabulary Book Now? - April 20, 2017
- Infographic | 5 Way Word Walls Can Support Word Learning - April 13, 2017
- Launching Blended Vocabulary for K-12: A Labor of Love - February 20, 2017